Telebehavioral Health Training and Technical Assistance
The SAMHSA-HRSA Center for Integrated Health Solutions Telebehavioral Health Training and Technical Assistance Series is designed to help safety net providers and rural health clinics understand and adopt telebehavioral health services. The implementation of telehealth services for mental health and substance use allows for increased access to these services, particularly in rural or underserved areas.
Divided into six sessions, the training will provide you with the tools and resources necessary to identify and implement a telebehavioral health program. Each educational session includes a Q&A session with telebehavioral health experts, and associated resources for further exploration and information.
After completing this training and technical assistance series, participants will be able to:
- Identify one or more telebehavioral health service models that are clinically appropriate for their organization
- Engage the stakeholders necessary to successfully establish telebehavioral health services
- Coordinate telebehavioral health activities with pertinent local, state and federal partners
Session I: Laying the Groundwork Back to Top
This session provides an introduction to telebehavioral health and this training series, and helps you lay the groundwork for a telebehavioral health program.
Q & A Recording
California Telehealth Resource Center Program Development Kit
Screening for Depression in Adults, US Preventative Screening Services Task Force
Improving Illness Care: Translating Evidence Into Action
Diabetes Depression and Death: A randomized controlled trial of a depression treatment program for older adults based in primary care
Milliman Research Report: Chronic Conditions and Comorbid Psychological Disorders
Benefits of a Telepsychiatry Consultation Service for Rural Nursing Home Residents
Session II: State Regulatory/Reimbursement Topograpy; Engagement and Outreach Back to Top
This session provides an overivew of state regulatory and reimbursement issues as well as identifying issues around engagement and outreach to consumers.
Recordings (synched audio and slides) remain in our archive for one year. For webinar recordings more than one year old, contact us at Integration@TheNationalCouncil.org.
Federation of State Medical Boards Licensure Requirements -- A Board-by-Board Overview
CMS Telehealth Services Fact Sheet
Telemedicine for Medicaid Authorities
National Conference of State Legislatures' Map of State Telehealth Services
The Value of Provider-to-Provider Telehealth
Session III: Partnerships and Financing Back to Top
This session provides an overview of the economics involved with implementing a telehealth program as well as the importance of developing partnerships.
Q & A Recording
Telehealth Resource Centers
Sample Telehealth Policy from United Health
State Medicaid Best Practice Telemental and Behavioral Health
Session IV: Technology and Logistics Back to Top
This session provides information about the technology required and specific guidance about the logistics involved in a telebehavioral health program.
National Telehealth Technology Assessment Resource Center
Session V: Implementation Back to Top
This session guides you through the steps involved in a telebehaioral health implementation.
Q & A Recording
Implementation Guide provided by the California Telehealth and eHealth Connections
Telebehavioral Health Implementation Videos
Telemental Health Resource Guide
Session VI: Launch and Refinement Back to Top
This session reviews the launching of your program and highlights specific lessons learned from experts who have implemented a telebehavioral health program
Q & A Recording
Trauma Informed Care: New Norms Lead the Way at the VA
VA Telehealth Services
- CIHS Expanding Access through Telebehavioral Health listserv. Email Jordan Winn to join.
- American Telemedicine Association Guidelines for Online Mental Health Services. Covers clinical, technical and administrative guidelines.
- FDA Regulation of Mobile Technologies -- Issues to consider when utilizing other medical devices for monitoring in addition to video tele behavioral health
- Collaborative Care Using Telebehavioral Health in FQHCs -- A Study
- Scaling Telehealth Programs -- Lessons Learned from Early Adopters
- CMS Rules for Telehealth Services
- ONC Guidebook on EHR Contracting for Providers
- HRSA Office for the Advancement of Telehealth (OAT) Grantee Directory
- CMS Expands Telehealth Codes January 1 2014_MLN Matters New Flash_12_30_13