Health Information Exchange In Behavioral Healthcare
Building an infrastructure to support the statewide exchange of health information facilitates the flow of critical information between physical and behavioral health providers.
The Center for Integrated Health Solutions (CIHS) provided behavioral health organizations with training and technical assistance to implement electronic health records and resources to health information exchanges to work through the barriers of sharing behavioral health data.
Prior to the implementation of this initiative, there was no state health information exchange (HIE) in the United States that included mental health and substance use information. The five states involved in this initiative (Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Oklahoma, and Rhode Island), paved the way for other states to include mental health and substance use information into their HIEs.
Here you can find resources from these states on the following topics related to building an HIE:
- HIE Development and Structures
- Structured Lab Results Delivery
- Continuity of Care Documents
- Provider engagement and conducting statewide meetings with primary and behavioral health providers
- Client engagement
- Progress toward exchanging behavioral health and physical health information
- Amending state legislation
Highlights from State Specific Products
- Consent Law Comparison - A good overview of consent law comparisons by HIPPA, 42CFR, and state
- Patient Choice Data Sharing Fact Sheet 2.26.13 - Fact sheet about data sharing and patient choice in Illinois
- HIE Readiness Assessment for BH Providers - Tool developed and used by behavioral health providers to assist them in determining how to move forward with coordinating care using ILHIE
- 5 Things to Know About the Continuity of Care Document - Provides an overview to providers about the Continuity of Care Document (CCD)
- Onboarding Process 4.4.12 - Outlines the onboarding process for providers to join KHIE
- Consumer and Provider Focus Group Report - Consumer and Provider Focus Group reports
- HIN Mental Health and HIV Opt-In Consent Form - Maine Opt-in Consent Form
- Behavioral Health Guidelines - Guidelines for exchanging behavioral health records through an Oklahoma HIE
- Data Sharing Partner-Provider Agreement between Health Provider and Rhode Island Quality Institute (RIQI) - Data sharing agreement between currentcare and providers
- Direct Informational Brochure - Information to providers about using DIRECT Secure Messaging
- BHDDH 42 CFR Part 2 Consent Form - Rhode Island Consent form